Friday, April 30, 2010

Questions for your Vet

Me and you and a dog named Boo,
Travellin' and livin' off the land.
Me and you and a dog named Boo,
How I love bein' a free man.
- lyrics by Lobo
(I thought it was a dog named Blue, but Boo is correct!)

The FDA has put together a list of questions to ask your vet when medication is prescribed for your pet.

1. Why has my pet been prescribed this medication?

2. How many days do I need to give it? Should I give all of the medication, even if my pet is back to normal?
Some medications, like antibiotics, should be given for a set length of time, even if your pet is feeling better, to prevent creating “superbugs” that are antibiotic resistant.

3. How do I give the medication to my pet? Should it be given with food?
Some medications are best to give on an empty stomach, others have fewer side effects when taken with food.

4. How many times a day and how much should I give each time?

5. If it is a liquid, should I shake it first?

6. How do I store the medication? A cool, dry place or refrigeration?

7. What should I do if my pet vomits or spits out the medication?

8. If I forget to give the medication, should I give it as soon as I remember or wait until the next scheduled dose?

9. What if I accidentally give too much?
You’ll want to know if giving too much will cause serious side effects and require a trip to the animal emergency room.

10. Could this medication interact with other medications my pet is taking?

11. What reactions should I watch for, and what should I do if I see any side effects?

12. When should I bring my pet back for a recheck? Will you call me to check on my pet’s progress, or should I call you?

Bottom Line

It's vital to know the answers to the questions above. And not just for pets! Ask these same questions of your regular doctor the next time you or your children are prescribed medication. (But substitute "child" for "pet" in the questions or you'll get an odd look from your doctor.)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home