Monday, March 7, 2011

Pink Slipped

“The crowning fortune of a man is to be born to some pursuit which finds him employment and happiness, whether it be to make baskets, or broad swords, or canals, or statues, or songs”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Today I recommend a delightful blog at Forbes.com by a Journalist/editor who was recently "downsized" and joined the unemployed. It's called Pink Slipped.

She offers these tips on finding a new job:

1. Men help. Women don't.
Male friends provided job leads. Female friends provided emotional support.

2. Be flexible, or die.
She has offered a part-time job as a copywriter but had no idea what that meant. After looking it up she accepted despite having no experience at copywriting. It pays well.

3. Getting downsized is good for you.
It can lead to new opportunities like her new blog, Pink Slipped, and the copywriting gig.
Bottom Line

Let everyone know you are looking for work and be willing to try new things. The job I currently have I had rejected when I first saw it advertised. The job description did not fit my expectations in the early period of unemployment. Several months later a different recruiter got me an interview and a job offer. Only afterwards did I realize I had rejected the job before.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home