Monday, August 10, 2009

Geeky Spouse

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0" - unknown

As a follow-up to my Personal Day post last month, I thought I’d share The Endearing Habits of a Geeky Spouse.

  • Romantic in unusual ways – LED valentine heart?
  • Finding the best deals in grocery stores – Calculating the best unit price with mental math
  • Offbeat quotes – the author mentions quoting the Muppets but geeks will also memorize Monty Python’s Holy Grail, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and other classics
  • Not addicted to TV sports – more time for love
  • Lots of cool gadgets – the author mentions getting techy hand-me-downs as the spouse constantly upgrades
  • Owning lots of interesting books – Lord of the Rings anyone?
  • Finding lost items – this goes both ways. I can find something I can visualize well like my wife’s cell phone. But the other day I could not see a clock radio that was in plain sight because it did not match my mental memory.
  • Providing computer support to friends and family – my dad calls me with computer questions
  • Love to Cook – “it’s like doing scientific experiments where you get to eat the results!”

To be fair, let’s also examine the Annoying Habits of a Geeky Spouse

  • Punning – my dad (not a geek) loved this. We were exchanging puns while picking raspberries and I’d made a putdown pun that I don’t recall. My dad immediately responded, “Respect your Elderberries.”
  • Avoiding swear words or using substitute like “frak” - is this a problem?
  • Over-the-top holidays or events – I like my costume collection and silly hats and ties! We also like our tradition of finding a new game meat to try every Christmas in place of turkey or ham.
  • Dissecting movies, books, etc – my wife does get annoyed when I comment upon what we’re watching together
  • Wearing geeky T-shirts to “normal” places – I love my star trek shirt (though it seems to have shrunk a bit since college)
  • Filling rooms with geeky supplies – but my comic collection only fills part of the attic.
  • Geeky house decorations that are hard to explain – doesn’t everyone have a scythe hanging on their living room wall?
  • Looking up information in the middle of a discussion/argument – isn’t the point of the debate to find the truth?
  • Needing to watch TV shows ASAP to avoid spoilers – as per the dissecting above, geeks love to twitter, facebook, and blog about the newest TV shows giving away the ending
  • Projects that take over house and whole weekends – I’d add to this an obsession with new games or a new book. My wife knows I’ll be out of touch for a few days until the game or book is finished.

Bottom Line

"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code"

For more great geek quotes check out http://www.geek24.com/g/2006/06/13/absolutely-hilarious-computer-quotes

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home