Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cat Scratches

“If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way.”
- Mark Twain quotes
We have two cats at home which my wife and I adore, even though she is allergic to them. However one thing I do not adore is being scratched by the cats. They don't do it intentionally, we're just playing and I get too close or don't move fast enough and *slash*. The claws are as sharp as scalpels and the slightest contact can leave a deep cut. But unlike scalpels, cat claws are far from sterile and clean; just think about all the digging they do in cat litter.

Yesterday I received the shallowest of cuts just before work. I pressed it and let it bleed a little and figured that was enough. I was wrong. By evening the cut was red and swollen and filled with puss. It may leave a scar. I should have followed my usual routine which is to wash the cut with soap and water, dry it, and then pour hydrogen-peroxide on it. Make sure the hydrogen-peroxide is still active and foams when applied to the cut. A band-aid is optional.

When I follow the steps above, I don't scar.

Sometimes a cat scratch can cause Cat Scratch Fever a few weeks after the scratch. The primary symptom is swollen Lymph nodes. Other symptoms can include headache, backache, chills, and stomach pain or loss of appetite. Generally, cat scratch disease is not serious and medical treatment is not usually needed. In severe cases, treatment with antibiotics such as azithromycin can be helpful.

Bottom Line

Cat claws are a natural reservoir of disease. Treat cat scratches seriously and always clean them immediately.

See also http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/catscratch.htm

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home