Winter checklist for your house
ConsumerReports.org recommends the following to prepare your house for winter.
- Clear leaves from your property and gutters and roof
- Remove piles of leaves, compost, & wood away from house (mice love to nest in debris)
- Wash windows (you'll appreciate the extra sunlight in winter)
- Cover outdoor furniture
- Put away your grill (ours sits outside and rusts)
- Test your snowblower before you need it
- Update settings on your programmable thermostat
- Have a pro service your home heating system
- Replace furnace filters every month
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned
- Check Fire and CO detectors and fire extinguishers. Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years and CO detectors every 5 years.