Thursday, June 23, 2011

Why don't people prepare?

A family is a unit composed not only of children but of men, women, an occasional animal, and the common cold.
~Ogden Nash
My wife found an article (sorry I cannot locate the link) that lists several reasons why families are not prepared and set the reasons to the Acronym FAMILIES.

F (Fear) - It's just too much to think about. Or, what's the point, I'll be dead.
Solution: think of the positives - the peace of mind of knowing that you are ready should some misfortune happen.

A (Attention Span - lack thereof) I'll get around to it when I have the time. Or I'm just too busy.
Solution: preparedness can be done in little steps like buying extra cans of food when it is on sale, setting up an automatic deposit to emergency savings, etc. Lack of time can also mean that your life's priorities should be reexamined.

M (Media) The news, especially TV, creates a Boy Who Cried Wolf scenario where every storm is urgent, breaking news and then turns out to be minor. People burn out and stop believing the warnings. Just how bad can that hurricane be if the newsman is outside standing in the middle of it?
Solution: if you have food storage and water storage you can "weather" most storms. The exception will be when ordered to evacuate the neighborhood.

I (Ill-informed) I have a 72-hour kit so I'm prepared. Or - the only way to be prepared is to learn survivalist skills and move to a farm.
Solution: the truth is in the middle. A 72-kit is not enough but you can be prepared without moving to the country and learning to live without civilization.

L (Lifestyle) I don't want to change how I live, I'm comfortable and happy as-is.
Solution: It's great if you want to learn to make your own bread but you can be prepared in little steps as described above and modest changes like filling up the gas in your car more often so it never goes below a half.

I (Income) I can't afford it.
Solution: I'm not a big fan of spending thousands to buy a year's supply of freeze-dried food for the family. Stock up on items you use during sales and you'll save money in the long run.

E (Ego) I'll just call 9-1-1 and I'll be taken care of.
Solution: during an emergency thousands of others are calling 9-1-1 also? What makes you think that you're at the front of the queue?

S (Selflessness) I'm not worried about me; I want to take care of others.
Solution: if you're not prepared you'll be a burden on others who will need to feed you. Only if you have extra supplies will you be in a position to help others.

Bottom Line

Don't delay - prepare today!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home