Monday, July 11, 2011

"Oh, God!", the movie

"My days are all filled with an easy country charm
Thank God I'm a country boy"
- John Dever lyrics
In my last post I used a quote from the movie, "Oh, God!" about the avocado pit. I really loved that movie when it came out in 1977. George Burns plays a great God, all knowing with a bit of humor. His reluctant prophet, Jerry Landers, is played by John Denver. Here are some more quotes from that movie.

Jerry Landers: How can you permit all the suffering that goes on the world?
God: Ah, how can I permit the suffering?
Jerry Landers: Yes!
God: I don't permit the suffering. You do. Free will. All the choices are yours.

Jerry Landers: I don't even go to any church!
God: Neither do I.

Jerry Landers: People are always praying to You. Do You listen?
God: I can't help hearing. I don't always listen.
Jerry Landers: So then You don't care.
God: Of course I care! But what can I do?
Jerry Landers: What can You do? You're God!
God: Only for the big picture. I don't get into details.

God: The last miracle I did was the 1969 Mets. Before that, I think you have to go back to the Red Sea.

Jerry Landers: I lost my job, you know. [after speaking as God's prophet]
God: [shrugs] Lose a job, save a world. Not a bad deal.

The tail end of the movie has Jerry Landers on trial as a false prophet. God appears as a witness and when asked if he swears to tell only the truth responds, "So help me, me. <pause> I'm God", which naturally causes an uproar. He then explains....
God: Why is it so hard for you to believe? Is my physical existence any more improbable than your own? What about all that hoo-ha with the devil awhile ago from that movie? [The Exorcist] Nobody had any problem believing that the devil took over and existed in a little girl. All she had to do was wet the rug, throw up some pea soup and everybody believed. The devil you could believe, but not God? I work in my own way. I don't, I don't get inside little children; they got enough to do just being themselves. Also I'm not about to go around to every person in the world and say, 'Look it's me, I wanna talk to you.' So I picked one man. One very good man. I told him God lives. I live. He had trouble believing too, in the beginning. I understood. I'm not sure how this whole miracle business started, the idea that anything connected with me has to be a miracle. Personally I'm sorry that it did. Makes the distance between us even greater.

[last lines of the movie as God says goodbye to his prophet]
Jerry Landers: Maybe, sometimes... couldn't we just talk?
God: I'll tell you what. You talk... I'll listen.

Bottom Line

What lines from the movie do you agree with? Which parts did it get wrong?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Creechman said...

Nice entry. :)

July 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home