domestic energy consumption has more than doubled between 1949 and 2010. WiseBread.com has identified 7 Deadly Energy Sinners.
- Older refrigerators hold up better but they also use up to three times more energy.
- An old freezer can cost $120 in energy
- A clothes dryer literally burns energy. 200 hour-long drying cycles can cost $85. That's cheaper than a Laundromat but money that could be saved with a clothesline.
- Space Heaters use the power of a hair blow dryer but stay on for much longer.
- TV's can use up to 1 kilowatt of energy when left on when you're not in the room. This adds $30 to your energy bill.
- PC's if left on 8 hours a day will consume $60 per years
- A swimming pool pump costs $240 per year to operate
Turn off appliances when not in use.