Tuesday, November 11, 2008

25 Skills

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about something."
- T.H. Huxley
Popular Mechanics has a online series called "25 Skills Every Man Should Know: Your Ultimate DIY Guide" with photos and instructions for each skill. I don't agree with the list (or the sexism) but there is a lot of good material here.
Here's the list and how I score (Y/N).
  1. Patch a radiator hose
    (Y - we keep duct tape in our car)
  2. Protect Your Computer
    (Y - always install antivirus software)
  3. Rescue a Boater Who Has Capsized
    (Y? My wife & I sail.)
  4. Frame a Wall
    (N - alas I have no carpentry skills)
  5. Retouch Digital Photos
    (Y - my wife is a graphic artist)
  6. Back Up a Trailer
    (No experience with large vehicles)
  7. Build a Campfire
    (I know the theory but am weak on practice)
  8. Fix a Dead Electrical Outlet
    (Y)
  9. Navigate With a Map and Compass
    (Y - I sailed once at night with no GPS. Maps were essential.)
  10. Use a Torque Wrench
    (N - Never even seen one)
  11. Sharpen a Knife
    (Y)
  12. Perform CPR
    (Y - I'm CPR certified)
  13. Fillet a Fish
    (Y in theory, very little practice)
  14. Maneuver a Car Out of a Skid
    (? - good topic for this blog...)
  15. Get a Car Unstuck
    (Y - been there, done that)
  16. Back Up Data
    (Y- having lost one hard drive, I do back up data more often now)
  17. Paint a Room
    (Y - could be better)
  18. Mix Concrete
    (Never tried but suspect I could. I never thought I could reseal our blacktop driveway but my wife and I did that last month. )
  19. Clean a Bolt-Action Rifle
    (Not a clue)
  20. Change Oil and Filter
    (Not a clue - I recall my dad doing this as I grew up. I take my car to Quick Lube mechanics)
  21. Hook Up an HDTV
    (? - I've hooked up other video/TV systems but not HDTV)
  22. Bleed Brakes
    (Not a clue)
  23. Paddle a Canoe
    (Y - I canoed once at college while wearing a suit!)
  24. Fix a Bike Flat Tire
    (N - but my wife did this recently)
  25. Extend Your Wireless Network
    (Y)

Bottom Line

Modern life requires many skills from the primitive (fires and fish), to the domestic (home, bike and car repair), to the high tech (computers). While outdoor survival skills are nice to know and can be a fun hobby, don't neglect learning modern day skills. Be computer savvy and protect yourself from PC viruses and other modes of attack.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home