Friday, January 15, 2010

Martin Luther King, Jr.


"I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law."

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can stop him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important."

"I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

In 2010 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day will be observed Monday, Jan 18. But his actual birthday is January 15, today.

Bottom Line

May we all have the strength to stand up for what we believe despite the obstacles. Dr King was imprisoned, criticized by fellow ministers, and assassinated. But he refused to yield. He made a difference and we remember him today (and Monday).

I'm also struck by his first quote above. There are many willing to protest the law. But Dr. King recognized that part of protesting was to "willingly accept the penalty of imprisonment". Many today wish to forget that part and as a result all respect for government and law is lost.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tiffany Wacaser said...

I also like the first quote. It is a very important point that you have to be willing to accept the legal consequences of protesting the law. Unfortunately, I've know people who want to protest and break laws without accepting consequences.

BTW, excellent talk today. I enjoy both your talk and Amy's talk.

January 17, 2010 at 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home